Tuesday

10/3/06 - Little Women?

I received my radiation treatment this morning, and was waiting to see the doctor. A man who was sitting beside me made a remark about my friend (who is also receiving radiation treatments) who has a “woman preacher.” He said, “If that’s what she wants, she’s gonna have to live with that decision.” I asked, “You find something wrong with a female being a preacher?” “Yep, I sure do!” “Why?” “Women were created to SERVE men!” I thought he was kidding and I laughed. He wasn’t and he didn’t.

Then I remembered a story he told in the waiting room one time: “My wife told me she wanted to go somewhere where she had never spent much time. So I took her by the arm, and led her into the kitchen.”

I asked him about the women-as-servants remark, “Are you just kidding?” “No!” “You’re serious?” “Yes.” “Why would you believe that?” “Because Jesus didn’t have any woman disciples!” “Women traveled in his group of followers all the time and Jesus treated every woman he met as an equal.” “No, he didn’t.”

Then his name was called for his treatment. I had had a very sleepless night and was feeling tired and grumpy, so I was in a mood to argue… I guess it’s best our conversation was cut short. I was too angry to have made any difference in his way of thinking. Oh, but the not-so-good-girl inside me sure wanted to give it a try!

The Pumpkin Patch

Heard this today:

Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and
washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and
scoops out all the yucky stuff-- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc.
Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside you to shine for
all the world to see.

Guess we’re all pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment