Sunday

4/21/12 - Jenny... our Foster Child... I mean Dog

On the way to work yesterday, I told Ric, "Remember the day we brought Bodhi home?  It was pouring down the rain then too."  Ric shook his head and grinned at me saying, "You're something else."  Okay, so Jenny is going to be a dog we foster.  We're not adopting her.  (Shhhh... yet!)  I was eager to pick up Jenny from the animal shelter.  Two short visits and I knew I was falling in love with her.  Today we take her to our home and see how she and Bodhi get along when they're really together.

I took Bodhi with me to the shelter so he could be in on this every step of the way.  When we pulled up to the shelter and parked, Bodhi let out this little whimper and turned in his harness ready to get out of the car.  Was he thinking "Oh dang, not this place again." or "Oh boy, I get to see Jenny again!"?  I was hoping it was the latter.  I unhooked him, let him out of the car, and he went straight for the door to the shelter.  When the young man brought out "E-4" Bodhi walked to meet her and they sniffed each other again like long lost friends!  I had a good feeling.  The young man (wish I had gotten his name) said, "She's a really sweet dog.  Really sweet.  Hope it works out for her."  I said, "You're going to miss her aren't you?"  He replied, "No, ma'am.  I don't miss any of the animals that leave here.  'Cause I know they're getting the good home they deserve."  

We walked around in the rain a little bit so that Jenny could "do her business" and then got into the car.  Bodhi looked a little perplexed at Jenny being in the backseat with him, and again I wondered what he was thinking.  When we got home, I did not take them inside right away.  First I took them both for a long walk.  Jenny continued to pull on the leash really, really, really hard.  I can't believe the strength of such a small dog.  A lot of dogs at the shelter will do that, because they soooooo love being outside of their kennel and getting a chance to exercise.  But I can tell Jenny has not had any experience being on a leash other than at the shelter.  After walking for a while, Jenny grew tired and walked without pulling, except upon sighting an occasional squirrel.  She and Bodhi then walked side-by-side for the most part.  By the time we arrived back at the house, I could sense that Bodhi pretty much expected her to go inside too.  Mission accomplished.

When Jenny came inside the house, she just went crazy!  A good kind of crazy!  It was like... "This is a lot of space. What's in here? What's in there? Do I get all this AND food? Carpet! Ya gotta be kidding!"  (I amaze myself at how well I can read dogs' minds.)  And then she and Bodhi started playing.  At first I wasn't quite sure if it was playing or fighting.  Bodhi was uttering a soft growl, but it looked like they were wrestling, and Bodhi did not appear to be trying to hurt Jenny.  It occurred to me that he may have been telling her she was welcome to stay, but he was leader of the pack.  They took a water break... both of them taking a drink, and then both had their heads in the water bowl at the same time!  After that, no more growling, just pure play and sheer joy.  Bodhi has never been one to want to play much.  He ignores his toys, and won't retrieve a ball or anything we throw.  But now it looked like they were both in heaven.  Our house is laid out so that they are able to run around a circle and chase each other, and the living room provides plenty of wrestling space.  I had two tired dogs by the end of the day.  But what a great day it was.  Ric said they slept side by side throughout most of the night.


However.  It's going to be a while before our cats, Mokie and Dot, give their blessing for another dog.  I feel some major trickery coming on...

3 comments:

  1. LOVE YOUR BLOG..KEEP US INFORMED. REALLY ENJOY ALL YOUR BLOGS AND HOW YOU'RE DOING. I HAD 2 DOGS BUT ONE HAD TO BE PUT DOWN DUE TO KIDNEY DISEASE. THE OTHER ONE STILL MISSES HER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love this entry......now we are "even" on the number of "family members"...it gets crowded at times but wouldn't give them up for anyone. Enjoy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRRRReat Story! I love your insightfulness, reading their thoughts and actions. You write from your heart, and what a beautiful heart you have...

    ReplyDelete