Monday

10/2/06 - Shapes

First day of last week of radiation treatments! Today the electron plan was established for the final week of treatments. The five treatments this week will target only the area where the tumor was removed. It’s much quicker… only takes a few minutes. I have another Sharpie drawing now… around the scar in roughly the shape of Australia. I just have to be careful this week not to wash the marks away.

The area beneath my color bone is so red and painful… at least that area won’t be treated anymore, and can begin to heal.

Even though I’ve been really tired from the radiation treatments, I’ve been feeling a real need to get back to exercising and get back in shape. I wish I would have tried to walk, or do something, all along. Anyway, I decided to put on my running shoes and go to a nearby park and walk. I walked just one mile… and felt really good. I wanted to walk more, but thought I better take it easy for the first time… and walk again tomorrow.

I didn’t wear my wig… just a cap… no scarf. Was it my imagination, or did people avoid making eye contact with me?

Yesterday, I was in Target, with the same non-hairdo… and a really sweet young woman said, “Are you finished with your treatments?” I liked that she just came right out and asked. We had a nice conversation. She also was a breast cancer survivor… having had cancer in her early 30’s. I really admire young women who have to go through all this, and still be a mom, and take care of little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment