Wednesday

12/14/11 - Well, CRAP!

I promise to come up with better titles for my blog entries, but for now... well, crap!  I thought I was going to get a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, but I landed on Boardwalk... and I didn't own it!  Crap!  Had surgery last Thursday to remove the cancerous lump, and a few lymph nodes were examined.  It appeared as though there was a tiny speck of cancer on one of the lymph nodes.  The full pathology report came back yesterday, and my doctor tells me that not only was there miniscule amounts of cancer in 3 of 4 lymph nodes, but that the margins of the tumor were broken in a small area.  So I go back to surgery tomorrow for another slice of breast tissue to be removed... OUCH!... and an axillary lymph node dissection will be performed, which means additional lymph nodes will be removed.  That's just what I was hoping would not happen.  I recall the lymph node surgery being quite difficult to recover from the last time, and quite painful.  However, I'm prepared for that this time, so I plan to deal with it with less fear.  Additionally, it will now be necessary to receive chemotherapy again, followed by radiation.  Another thing I was hoping to avoid this time around.  Again, I know what to expect, so I'll probably handle that better too.  My doctor told me I could wait until after the holidays to have the surgery if I wanted, but he could do it as earlier as Thursday.  At first I gasped at the thought of having surgery when I'm still bruised, sore and swollen from the last one.  Ric and I discussed it, and I realized I wanted ALL the cancer out of my body as soon as possible.  And as Ric pointed out, why wait until I'm completely healed and then start all over again.  So, I'm going to go for it.  Get 'er done!  (That's the first time I've ever used that phrase!)

The hardest part of this new development was telling my children, Danny and Jill, and telling Ric.  A funny thing happened while Ric and I were hugging each other and crying.  Our dog, Bodhi, starting barking at us.  So we paused to pat his head and tell him all would be okay.  I tried to stop crying, but then found myself just sobbing.  Then Bodhi let out this sad, agonizing, cry of his own.  Ric and I sat down on the bed beside him, and this 60 lb dog moved behind me and wrapped himself around me!  He held me that way for a while, and then he rubbed his head all over my back... it was like a awesome massage!  By this time, Ric and I were in awe and giggling at the same time.  I'm not sure how to interpret what happened, but it was very healing, and I haven't even felt the need to cry since then.

So, it was not the news I wanted to hear, and I kinda feel like I can't wake up from a bad dream right now.  Yet, I know I'm embarking on a journey... one that will be tough at times... but one that is bound to bring some delightful surprises.  At least that's what I learned from Bodhi... who was named before we got him... and which name means "the enlightened one."


8 comments:

  1. Your blog from 5 years ago has been an inspiration and so very helpful for my sister who was diagnosed with breast cancer in August. (I just recently discovered your blog). Everything you've written about your surgeries, treatments, meds & Linda the Angel(!) is almost as if my sister wrote it. It has made her feel like she's not alone in this ordeal and that everything she's experiencing is normal and temporary.

    I pray for a complete healing for you, Jeanne. I've added you and your family to my Prayer List. Sometimes during the course of the day when I'm praying for my sis, you come to my mind, even though we've never met, and I also ask the Lord to lift all the cancer cells away from your body and destroy them, never to return. This is my prayer for you..and strength, courage & hope, ALWAYS hope. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanne, I read your story and it was touching to me. My Mom was a survivor of breast cancer along with other cancer's along the way, she passed away in 09 but not to cancer. Still my heart goes out to you and to your family as well. I was with my mom every step of the way so I can't say I know what you are going through but as a family member I know what that is like and when I read your post it was wonderful to read that you have support from your family. You need support always of course but when faced with sickness seems like it is even more important. So when I pray for you I will of course add your family in my prayers.. God is still a healer and through our faith he will heal your body.. May his Blessing be with you always... PS Well Crap .. is a perfect title.. summed it up well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jeanne, so many people love you and are holding you in their hearts and praying for you. You are so loved! May all be well and all manner of things be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you feel the love and strength that I and so many, many other people are sending your way! I am praying for a speedy recovery and a complete healing from God. Thank you for all you do for all of us! God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love how our puppies give such love, suprise and contentment...sometimes all at the same time.
    I'm with you in thought as you go through this next "journey". I'm also available to help out...car rides to chemo, car rides to get meds or just car rides. Please let me know if you need anything.
    Love you, Jeanne. -Amie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne,
    Through the marvels of radio I feel I know you and I just want to let you know I have added you to my prayers. I pray you stay healthy and strong through these second treatments and get rid of that nasty "C" word once and for all. I recently finished my treatments at the end of Sept. for breast cancer. When Books A Million had their coffee shop my husband and I would go there on "date night", have coffee and skim through the books and magazines. I would often see you and your husband there too and many times wanted to approach you and tell you what an inspiration you were to others and how glad I was to see you doing so well. Then one day out of the blue, I too became a member of the "pink club" and so even more I understood the struggles you had gone through. Hang in there! Keep the faith! And remember prayers are regularly going up on your behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big hugs. Your sense of humour always helps. When my mom was tattooed for her radiation, my brothers and I wrote a song about selling her to the circus as a tattooed lady. So think about that a potential career. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to your cancer journey on the radio. It gave me courage to walk my own breast cancer path. Stay strong ...this is just another bump in the road. Thoughts and prayers are with you. You will beat this. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete