Wednesday

12/28/11 - Pathology Report Results

Briefly...

CANCER TYPE:  Invasive Moderately Differentiated Ductal Carcinoma

TUMOR SIZE:  2.7 cm

AXILLARY LYMPH NODE DISSECTION:  4 of 11 lymph nodes removed contain small clusters of tumor aggregates within the subcapsular sinus. (Essentially, these cells are present in the "lining" of the node, and have not completely invaded the nodes.  This is good!  There is also a possibility that because the amount in the nodes is so small, I will not have to have radiation under my arm.)

CANCER STAGE:  This is debatable.  The size of the tumor definitely moves me into Stage Two.  Some doctors might say the presence of cancer in the lymph nodes is enough to move me into Stage Three.  But because it's such a small amount, it would not necessarily be "wrong" to say it's Stage Two. (Last time, I was a definite Early Stage Three.)

ADDITIONAL FINDINGS:  The tumor cells tested ER/PR Positive and HER Negative.  Doctor says this is good.  (Last time I was "triple negative."  So, this time, I have a completely different kind of cancer.)  I'm a little familiar with what this means, but have to do some more research. 

Next step...
Appointment with my oncologist, Dr. Cohen, at David Lee Cancer Center on Tuesday, January 3.  I assume at that time, we'll discuss what type of chemo I'll receive, for how long, when it will start, and when the surgery to insert a port will be scheduled.  Scans too.  Lots and lots of scans.  I have a scanner at home... can't I just do those myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment