Saturday

12/17/11 - Time to Exercise!

My daughter, Jill, was longing to help me deal with the difficulty I was having about the way my body now looks.  She said she had no words of wisdom, but offered this, which are indeed very simple and wise words:  “Number one...remember that all of this is temporary.  Number two...this is treatable.  Number three...the drain will only be there for a few days.  Number four...who cares what your boob looks like.  Number five...you still have both of your breasts.  Number six...you have family and friends and people you don't even know who are praying for you and loving you so much.  And number seven...hey you are allowed to feel this way for a while.  Cry all you want...get it out.  Then think of all the things you have to be grateful for.  Just look at Amaya in her leotard...that will make anyone laugh.”  I was starting to feel better anyway, and this just tipped me right over the edge.  Perfect words, Jill.  Just perfect.  (Four year-old Amaya and her dad are the long, skinny ones in the family.  In this pic, she’s trying to show off her muscles!)

I’m doing much better emotionally today.  I haven’t even needed that one more big crying time.  I’m just working through some minor physical challenges now.  I’m on the mend!

So much going through my head, and yet I’m having trouble getting it down on paper.  My thoughts are broken, as I’m working through these little physical things.  Like the dreaded drain... and “dreaded” only because I’m so squeamish.  Ric stripped the line and emptied the drain for me the day I came home and yesterday morning, but now I’m doing it myself... and the last two times, I did it without feeling like I was going to pass out!  (Actually, I didn’t do it all by myself... whenever I go to the bathroom to do this, Bodhi comes with me, and lies on the floor.Check one on my list of “accomplishments.”  LOL!  Anyone who has had lymph nodes removed from their arm, must immediately begin exercises to retain mobility in the arm.  The exercises hurt.  But the doctor assures me that the stitches are not going to rip out.  I know this to be true... I did the exercises in my left arm last time, and have full mobility.  So I’m doing them now, but get frustrated because I can’t lift my arm higher.  I was walking miles a day, and now I can’t lift my arm.  So my next little goal is to check off “having patience” on my accomplishment list!  After having laid down for a nap and when I wake up in the morning, I have searing pain under my arm when I sit/stand up.  I’ve learned to breath easy, let the muscles adjust and the pain gradually subsides to a tolerable level.  So, check one, check three... still working on the patience thing.  I have this desire to go walk for a few miles and do some push-ups, but first I have to lift my arm.  Patience!  Hurry up and get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment