Saturday

12/24/11 - Christmas Eve


Christmas Eve!  A sweet peaceful day.  It should have been.  I woke up this morning, took Bodhi for a walk, came home with the intention of having a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper, while waiting for Ric to wake up.  Instead, I felt empty and crawled back in bed to get warm.  Drifted back to sleep while thoughts of missing my family danced in my head.  When I woke, I couldn’t make myself get up.  My cat, Dot, was lying beside me, and I knew if I could see her face better, I would smile.  It’s hard to turn over with a painful arm and a drain coming out of it, and by the time I adjusted myself so I could see her, she had moved... and her butt was in my face!  Tried to get her to turn around, but she was adamant about making me laugh... only it didn’t work. I just felt sad and depressed, wondering what would I do when I did get up.  Go look at the trio of Christmas trees in front of the fireplace, with no lights, because I couldn’t find the long extension cord?  Stare at the blank space under the trees because I did not shop this year?  I looked at my bare feet and began to remember things that would happen to my body during chemo... my toenails and fingernails would get ugly ridges in them, my skin would be dry, the steroids would make me look like the Pillsbury Doughboy, my hair would fall out to the point I would have to have my head shaved to keep the piles of hair showing up all over the place, I would lose my eyebrows and eyelashes, adding to the Pillsbury Doughboy look.  And then the hardest thoughts to think came crashing in.  Last year, I went to my mom’s house for Christmas.  I didn’t go the year before, so this was the first Christmas being in the house without my dad.  Little did I know at the time that it would be the last year that Mom was in the house at Christmas.  This year her Christmas will be spent in a nursing home and she will have no idea it’s Christmas.  I realized that never again would I experience a family Christmas in the home in which I grew up.  My son and family moved to Indiana this year, and will have little time to visit upon their return to West Virginia for the holidays.  My daughter and family are living in Mexico.  It’s hard to get everyone together when you deal with multiple blended families... but I recall two very special Christmases when we did.  One year we rented a cabin at Stonewall Resort.  Everyone was there on a snowy Christmas Day, fire in the fireplace and deer visiting outside.  A Christmas card Christmas!  And a few years ago, we were all together in our home...  it was a noisy, happy, glorious time.  Everyone was astonished at the perfect Christmas dinner I had prepared, and I especially recall the drum circle that spontaneously formed in one corner of the house... singing and laughing and drumming... oh what a joy filled day.  Today... too quiet for me to bear.  Ric said something to me that I perceived as an angry tone, and I could no longer hold myself together.  I cried and sobbed and wailed.  I wrote an email to my daughter telling her how much I missed her, knowing she was struggling with the same feelings.  I couldn’t decide whether or not to actually send it.  She was glad I did.  It helped us both to acknowledge our sadness and move on.  My day did get better.  I showered and was going to straighten my hair, because I knew that would make me feel good.  Silly me.  However, I couldn’t straighten my right arm enough yet to straighten my hair.  Surprisingly, I did not cry over this.  Although Ric and I have a lot of food in the house, thanks to loving friends, we decided to go to our favorite restaurant, Little India, for a late lunch for Christmas Eve.  Harish and Meena welcomed us like family.  Family.  It felt good to be in their restaurant and they fed us good food and warmed our hearts as always.

I’m better now.  I remain steadfast in the knowledge that what is happening to me is not a tragedy.  My boss, Mike, lost his father yesterday.  Sadness is compounded during the holidays, and I can’t imagine how hard this is for him.  There is little Lydia, who will not get riding toys for Christmas this year, or next, or maybe ever.  There is a young man, with little children, who lost his young wife in a car accident recently.  And countless other tragedies other people are dealing with.  Even my own husband.  His illness (Primary Progressive MS) is so much worse than my condition.  There’s not much hope he’ll regain the loss of muscle in his legs and arm.  I get thru my condition with the comfort of the word “temporary.”  Ric does not have that choice.  There’re a lot of treatments available for the most common form of MS, Relapsing Remitting... but not much for PPMS.  Everything that’s been tried so far has not worked for Ric, but we continue to hope that the next treatment will.  Guess what it is?  Chemotherapy!  We laugh though, as we try to decide whether to have our chemo together or if we should stagger the treatments!  I smile as I remember a night when we were still dating... we were huddled under an umbrella together, running through the rain, with a bottle of wine and cheese & crackers, laughing and giggling, to his cozy place on the East End.  We weren’t thinking about staggering our chemo treatments 10 years later!  LOL!

We have been so loved and cared for and prayed for these last few weeks.  Part of me knows I have no right to be depressed.  And the other part of me knows this little Pity Party is necessary in order to move on to the next step.  Two surgeries in a week’s time?  I willingly went back to work quickly, but I was drained at the end of each day.  Some nights I slept well, some nights I did not.  A tired body leads to a tired mind.  And for me, it was easy for depression to set in.  Especially being the Christmas season.  I gotta put this down on the blog, because I’m surely not the only woman dealing with breast cancer who gets freakin’ sad!  My high-school friend, Diane, commented on my Facebook post the other day, “I don't know how you do it, Jeanne. Keeping up your spirit and sense of humor. You... going through what you do and you still manage to make me smile. I don't have much time to read everything on FB but I try to read your blog. It makes me laugh, and keeps me humble and thankful at the same time. You are so precious. God Bless You!!”  My response was, “From the first thought that I might have cancer again thru the last treatment for it, will probably be about a year's time.  Do I want to spend the next year of my life miserable?  NO!  So the only choice is to live my life as fully as I can, pretty much the same way I always do.  I choose HAPPINESS.  I choose LIFE!!!  And make no mistake, all the prayers and loving support from people like you, Diane, help me to do just that. I love you!”

So today, I’m sticking to it.  I have boxes of kleenex in every room now, just in case the “stickiness” wears off in places, and also so I will never know if I actually go thru a whole box of tissues in one day.  I may have some steps backward now and then, but I will always take bigger and more steps forward

Just went to find Dot.  She looked at me as if to say, "Are we okay now?"  Yes, Dot,  we're dancing again."

1 comment: