Friday

3/30/12 – Happy Endings


Had final chemo treatment yesterday.  Today started out rough... nausea and major fatigue.  I dropped Ric off at work and went to David Lee Cancer Center for the Neulasta injection at 8:30 am, and then drove home.  I tried to read the morning newspaper, but even though I had taken the steroids, which normally keep me wide awake, I was sleepy.  So I did the appropriate thing – went back to bed!  I thought I heard my cell phone ring, which was right beside my bed, but I couldn’t move.  Finally I realized it must be Ric, calling me to come at get him from work early.  I picked up the phone and looked at the clock at the same time... it was 3:45 pm!  Realizing I had been asleep, Ric told me not to rush, to give myself time to wake up, so I did take it slow.  However... as we were coming home, it seemed like there were too many cars on the road!  And at times, it looked like all the cars on the road were coming toward me!  I had to concentrate really hard, because logically I knew it wasn’t possible.  Suddenly Ric put his foot on the imaginary brake on the passenger side, and I realized I had almost run a red light.  One more realization – I shouldn’t have been driving.  I suppose the difference this time was that my chemo and injection were closer together than usual, I had just woken up, and I hadn’t eaten all day.  Well, thankfully I eventually got us home safe and sound!

I went back to bed, but didn’t sleep.  At some point I started to feel alive again, and decided to try to sit up, and was grateful that that turned out to be a good feeling.  Two friends brought by some delicious food, which filled our bellies and souls.  And just at dusk, I had the urge to take Bodhi out for a walk.  It was glorious!  A nice, pleasant, peaceful walk with my little buddy, who always senses when I need to take it a little slower.  We arrived back home, and I knew I was on the mend.  I love happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment