Friday

7/14/06 - First Day after Last Treatment

Well, I didn’t get much sleep last night… about 1-1/2 hours. Of course, when the alarm went off, I was ready to sleep. I wanted to stay in bed so bad, but I knew from past experience that once I got up, I would be okay. I was running a little late, ‘cause I pushed snooze a few times. On my way to work I noticed the clock said 7:15. What?!?! It’s 8:15. I looked at my watch, but it wasn’t on my arm… I forgot it. Listened to V100 and soon Steve said “It’s 7:20.” Oh, now I know what happened… the electric was off in the house yesterday and I set the clock in our bedroom and in the bathroom an hour ahead! What a dummy! I could’ve slept another hour!

Mike, our General Manager, came in this morning to congratulate me for finishing chemo. I told him about getting to work too early. He said that usually when people are late they use the reason or excuse that the electric went off. He said it’s the first time someone blamed the electric going off for being early!

Turned out to be a good day. Went to the hospital after work to get my last Neulasta injection. Ric asked me to come back to the station afterwards. I knew he was working on a big project and assumed he needed help. I was wrong. The office staff had ice cream cakes in the conference room to celebrate my having finished chemo! What a surprise! I almost cried. But it was a joyous celebration… and I was so glad my co-workers are also my friends who’ve been with me throughout these last four months, supporting and praying, sometimes helping me through the hallway and getting a glass of water, oohing and aahing over a box of wigs and hats, working extra for me, checking on me, and laughing with me. It could have been a difficult time, trying to do too much… but it wasn’t. Work has been a safe and caring place for me… a reason to get up and get going in the mornings! Now someone may need to remind me of this in a few months :-), but WORK has been a blessing! Anyway, we had lots of fun getting high on ice cream cake, sharing stories, and laughing. It was a fun and unexpected treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment