Friday

2/17/12 - Chemo #2

Chemo #2 has gone very well so far.  I have not had one bit of nausea!  Zero pain!  Very thankful.  The infusion went a little quicker today - took about 4 hours altogether for the anti-nausea medicines, and the two chemo drugs.  I only slept for one hour last night due to the steroids I had to start taking yesterday.  Again I take those 24 hours before chemo, and then for five more days, to prevent allergic reactions.  The anti-nausea meds I had in my IV cause drowsinesss, so I was very sleepy and tired for about 4-5 hours after today's treatment.  But for the rest of the evening, I've felt really good.  I took Bodhi for two short walks, had dinner (thanks to Anna), watched a little of American Idol that I DVR'd earlier this week.  Two more doses of the steroids today, and my face is on fire... it and my chest and arms are so red.  No problem, just a side effect that will go away in 4 days, not that I'm counting.

I typed up a list of my medications today (and Ric's).  I found out when there is an emergency such as when I had to go to the hospital a few weeks ago, it's really difficult to remember everything you take and the dosages of same, while dealing with a serious illness.  So now Ric and I each have a copy to carry with us at all times.  I suggest doing this before your need it... it will save a lot of time when it's important to get treatment started quickly!  Because I've had lymph nodes removed from under both arms, I also noted on my list (in italics) that both arms are restricted from being used for blood pressure checks and that blood pressure needs to be taken in my ankle.  I noted on the list that I have a Double Power Port inserted on my left side.  And finally that I'm being treated for breast cancer on my right side.  You will be asked about all these things, except the arm restriction(s)... unless you wear alert bracelets (which are available from the American Cancer Society).  There is no way medical personnel will know unless you tell them.  This is always your responsibility to let them know.  Believe it or not, it's not easy to remember this when you're really sick... so put it on your list!

Lorelee, my nurse for today, told me about a terrific app for the iPhone.  It's called iChemo Diary, and is a great way to store daily data about medicines taken, side-effects experienced, temperature, and other information.  There's also the ability to print and/or email a copy to your doctor before your next appointment.  I was asked questions today about my hospitalization and subsequent ER visit, and could not recall the exact daes... so keeping this little diary will be an easy way to record those kinds of details.  While I was searching for this app, I found another one called iMedications, which looks handy too. It looks like you can set time alerts to let you know it's time to take your medicine.  There was a small charge for the medications app, but the iChemo Diary is free!

2 comments:

  1. Really good advice and I plan to take it. Thanks. Hope it helps to know you have touched people you've never met with your faith, honesty and big smile. Hugs from Alaska. Maybe the Farthest North hug you've ever gotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to read your recent blogs. I have been worried. This experience periodically knocks our feet out from under us. I am relieved you are back on your feet. I relate way too much to your situations. I have had to fight grief at various times since I received my "you have breast cancer" news. I greatly miss the phone calls I would have received daily from my father with a sincere love and concern that could be felt over the phone.

    This is an unbelievable experience and it is helpful to compare notes and simply get all the help we can. I am following a bit in your footsteps, left a comment 1/5. I met Lorelee and Carrie on Feb 2, my first chemo treatment. They were perfect for me. Lorelee also told me about ichemo Diary and I like it. I have had to tweak a little such as putting am and pm with meds I take more than once daily. It's not perfect (one temp record when we are to take temp twice a day, etc.) but I do find it helpful. I agree with needing some time alerts and I downloaded Informant HD because it syncs with my calendars on computer and phone. This allows me reminders for the blood work, dr appointments, etc besides my meds such as starting my dreaded steroids this Wednesday.

    I hope your week continues better. I feel better knowing you are back blogging, hoping this means you are back on your feet dealing with the struggle head on again.

    ReplyDelete