Sunday

2/18/12 - Pillow Power

Here's something I meant to write about a long time ago.  It's a fantastic project for anyone who sews and has a sewing machine and left-over fabric!

I received my little pillow 6 years ago at CAMC just before my lumpectomy and lymph node surgery.  The nurse told me that a group of women make these for breast cancer surgery patients.  After the lymph node surgery, it feels like a big block of wood is under your arm, and oftentimes, when the arm touches your side, there is a fairly significant burning sensation.  These little pillows can be used to provide comfort when you're sitting.  It's important at night to keep your arm elevated during the healing period on a regular pillow, and this little pillow provides just enough support under your hand to keep your arm straight and more comfortable.  These "little" pillows make a big difference.

My particular pillow is about 7"x10" and is just right.  The filling is soft, and that is important.  If the pillow is stuffed too tightly, it would feel like one more thing jabbing into your side.  Mine even has a matching pillowcase over it, which is not absolutely necessary, but a nice touch.

These pillows also come in handy if you have a port inserted for chemo delivery.  When riding in a car, the shoulder seat belt will come right over the place where the port has been inserted, so again this little pillow comes to the rescue to provide some protective padding.

I don't know if anyone still does this project for CAMC.  I know they do not have these at St. Francis.  So, if you're interested in volunteering your time and resources, you might want to check it out.  Remember, it's important for women to have these BEFORE they go home from the lymph node surgery!  I think I received mine when I went in for pre-admission testing, so that might be the best department to contact to have these distributed.

Just thought I'd pass along this idea for anyone looking for something to do to make a difference!

2 comments:

  1. Oh mother if only I knew how to sew and I would make these and send them from Mexico. But seeing as how I can not sew I hope someone reads this post and does this project. What a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks okay, Jill... you know how to COOK, and taking food to people is a major blessing too! And visiting... I know you've helped Daniel's mother recover from her surgery, and I remember all the visits you made to my Dad when he was in the nursing home in Parkersburg. We all provide our own "gift." But the pillow thing is cool, huh? :-)

      Delete