Thursday

1/11/12 - Power Port

Surgery to insert the port in my chest went well today.  I'm glad to be able to make use of this cool little piece of technology.  I had a port five years ago and it really made chemo a lot easier.  This time I have the new Power Port!  I push a little button and my husband does whatever I want him to do!  Oh, I wish...

Seriously though, it enables my medical team to give medicines or fluids and/or take blood samples through the port.  With this little gadget, there is no need to stick the veins in a person's arms or hands with a needle.  The port makes having chemo and bloodwork more comfortable.  Because the port places medicines into a large central vein, the medicines mix better in the blood.  The medicines are also diluted so they are less harmful to the veins.  A very good thing.  This new Power Port also allows for power injections for use with medical imaging like CT scans and MRI's!

Some disagree though.  This morning an irate woman came to the radio station just before Ric went on the air and told him I should have never had lymph nodes removed and that I should not have the port inserted!  She had very strong opinions about it, saying she had just been to Cleveland Clinic for her treatments and we are doing it all wrong here.  Well, lady... I've already had lymph nodes removed and cancer was found in four of them, and my surgery for the port to be inserted is scheduled for this afternoon.  Ric told her that he and myself are fully aware of all the options for treatment and feel completely comfortable with all our decisions.  I can't believe someone would barge into our workplace and start giving her opinion on what she believes I have done wrong and that what I'm about to do is wrong!  Wish I could remember everything Ric told me he said to her, but he let her know she was out of line.  Now, I have no problem with people sharing their own stories and offering suggestions... but this lady was rude... and was sure she knew it ALL! 

She could be right... who knows.  But at this point, based on information and statistics provided by my doctors and research Ric and I have done on our own, we have made decisions that we believe are right and are proceeding in that direction.  I welcome words from anyone who truly wants to help me, but not from someone who's just looking for a soap box to stand on.  Grrrrrr.


No comments:

Post a Comment