Friday

1/19/12 - First Chemo Day - Part II

Signs
As I was packing my chemo bag to take to the cancer center this morning, I accidentally knocked over a picture of my parents.  My dad passed away three years ago, and one year ago, my mom went into a nursing home because of Alzheimers.  My dad always teased me about being clutzy and clumsly, so I knew his way of getting my attention this morning was to catch me in the act!  I picked up the photo, and there was Daddy looking right at me, telling me he would be with me during this day!

Upon arriving at the David Lee Cancer Center, I was greeted by the warm, friendly smile of a beautiful lady.  I asked her name.  Bertha.  Bertha!  That was the name of my beloved grandmother!  Mamaw died of breast cancer.  I miss her.  But I was so delighted to meet this "new" Bertha, and know that this sweet and lovely lady would be greeting me each time I come here.  My friend, Jamie, posted on Facebook that she believed this was a sign that my grandmother was right by my side through these treatments.  I agree.  I thought either it was a sign that Mamaw was there too... or an angel my grandmother sent for me!

God is good.  Always.

TREATMENT

I'm sitting here hooked up to chemo and wrapped up in a prayer quilt from a group of ladies at St. Mark's UM Church and a prayer shawl made for me from a group of ladies at Mount Juliet UM Church!  And when we get home later this afternoon, there will be a nice meal in our kitchen from our friends at Unity church.  I am warmed in more ways that one!

I have so far received 3 or 4 anti-nausea medicices thru my port and into my system.  Chemo #1 is pouring in now.  Chemo #2 is up next.  I feel great!  The folks here at DLCC treat everyone so wonderfully.  At first, I was not in a cancer center, but in a first class hotel.  But then it got even better!  Ric and I were brought snacks and drinks by both staff and volunteers, checked see if we needed anything, including blankets and pillows.  Best of all they answered all my questions thoroughly, quickly and without judgment. We are so blessed to have such great care all around us.

Home from chemo now... it's almost 8:00 pm and I still feel really good!  Those anti-nausea meds delivered with the chemo must be helping!  My eyes feel a little heavy and I sometimes feel like I'm moving in slow motion, but I feel fine!

Gotta go drink water right now... lots and lots and lots and lots of water!  I have to get all these medicines through my kidneys as soon as possible.  So maybe I won't get so much sleep tonight.  It's all ooooooookya.  I'm healing!

Ending the evening with one fun thing... they gave me a bag full of a bunch of stuff donated by local business and individuals today!  My goodie bag was filled with things like breast cancer awareness bracelets, food guide for reference while going thru chemotherapy, a journal, pen, a terry cloth cap to wear at night after I am bald... thankful for that one - I had to wear one the last time because my head was so cold even in the summer.  Also got these pads to fit over the car seat belt to cushion the area where the port is, some food samples and more!  I couldn't help but recall the first time I did a remote broadcast for an expo at the Civic Center.  As my co-worker, Randy, and I walked around gathering up post-it notes, pens and other free items for our goodie bags, Randy saw how much fun I was having, and looked at me and said, "I've always called this Businessman's Trick-or-Treat."  I laughed and laughed.  So yesterday I had my own little Chemo Woman Trick-or-Treat, only I didn't have to walk around collecting things... Bertha kept bring them to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment