Tuesday

1/24/12 - Sometimes You Just Gotta Shake Your Head and Laugh

After feeling so well on Sunday, I thought I would be totally back to "normal" by today.... and I AM indeed feeling good.  What's happening is as some side effects of the chemo subside, new ones are coming on.  There are some things I can no longer taste, like butter.  No problem - I don't need that anyway!  But bananas?  I love bananas.  Had one for lunch today, along with an orange, and could hardly taste either. 

It hurt to comb my hair this morning!  My scalp is very sensitive and a bit sore.  I'm guessing by next week, my hair is going to start to fall out.  I'm not going to try to hang on to it as long this time around.  When it starts to come out, I'll just cut it off and let Ric shave my head.  Unless he does it sometime while I'm asleep.  I don't know if it's that he enjoys the actual shaving of my head, or if he's simply eager for me to start wearing the red wig I got yesterday. 

Nice weather again today, so I took Bodhi for a long walk.  We live at the bottom of a hill, so the first part of our trek is always uphill.  I've been walking him since we got him in May, and the hill was no longer a task for me... until now.  By the time I reach the top, I'm a little out of breath and my legs are tired.  I guess the chemo has caused some muscle fatigue.  I'm going to keep on doing it though.  Going to be as good to my body as I can.

Yesterday morning, I had the stitches taken out from the port surgery.  Glad to have that done.  As far as the surgeries go, I am now pain-free!  I've regained full mobility of my right arm.  I continue to do stretches on this arm every day though, because it tightens right back up if I don't.  I'm very grateful for such good and quick healing in this regard.

And... I'm very glad to have finished taking the steroids... took last dose at 10:30 last night!  I slept very restless night before last, and last night I slept for only a couple hours. So tonight, I'm hoping for a good, restful sleep.  Ahhhhhh.

Coming up at the end of this week, Ric and I have another challenge.  Ric has been receiving various treatments for Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis for a couple years now, yet the disease continues to progress.  As a kind of last resort, Ric will begin chemotherapy on Friday!  He will have one treatment every 3 months.  Ric will have just one chemotherapy drug, so we're hoping the side effects won't be as extreme as mine.  We'll see.  One night not long ago, we sat on the edge of the bed, trying to decide how to schedule our chemo treatments so that we could take care of each other.  We joked around saying things like, "Did you think we'd be having this conversation when we met 11 years ago?"  Ric knew he was going to have to have these chemo treatments before I found out I had breast cancer again, and he's been putting off getting his treatment started.  But he continues to lose the use of his legs, and left arm... we can't put this off.  By the time he has his second treatment 3 months from now, I will be finished with chemo.  We're thinking of writing a book called "Who Gets the Toilet and Who Gets the Bucket?  One Couple's Journey Through Chemo."

Today's lesson:

Above all, keep a sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment