Sunday

1/1/12 - Preventing Lymphedema

After an axillary lymph node dissection, several precautions must be taken, for the rest of your life, to prevent lymphedema (major and painful swelling) in your affected arm.  Among them:  You can no longer have your blood pressure taken in the arm or be stuck for blood work or IV's.  It is up to YOU to tell a nurse or doctor not to take your blood pressure or draw blood from the affected arm or hand!  Other precautions:  Don't let the arm get sunburned, try to avoid injury to the arm (not that we ever intentionally injure ourselves), do not lift anything heavier than 15 lbs., and avoid repetitive motion with the arm like mowing the yard or raking leaves.  I developed a little swelling in my arm after first getting our dog, apparently from the tugging on the leash.  I switched arms after that, but now have become more consistent in not allowing him to pull on the leash at all.

The following is a link from the Susan G. Komen website that explains what lymphedema is, causes and treatments, and how to reduce the risk of getting lymphedema.

Lymphedema

Tip:  I always carry a little tube of Neosporin in my purse in case I get a cut.  I also wear a compression sleeve when I fly.  Ah, that reminds me... I'm going to need to stop by Bohl Medical and get another one... because I do intend to fly again... in more ways that one!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment