Thursday

1/12/12 - Chemotherapy Scheduled

Slept pretty well last night with the help of pain medication, but when I sat up in bed this morning, I was in some intense pain, even into my shoulder.  It hurt to breathe and to swallow.  I was actually near tears it hurt so bad.  I thought about posting on Facebook, "Please pray that I don't sneeze today."  I had planned to go to work today, but wasn't able.  Was that a problem for my employer, West Virginia Radio?  NO!  They are interested in my health and well-being first, and my V100 team is happy to cover for me.  I'm surrounded by big hearts!

Received the call from David Lee Cancer Center this morning, and chemotherapy will start next Thursday, January 19.  I'm ready!

My friends from church have offered to bring meals to us for several days after the chemo treatment.  It's really hard for me to ask for or receive help, but I have to think of my Ricky too!  He has to eat, so that made it easier for me to respond to Peggy's email and tell her chemo is about to start.  Thank you, Ric, for being a Hungry Man!  The meals will really be a major help, and Ric and I are deeply appreciative to those who will be bringing food to us.  Another worry taken away.

I'll have chemo every 3 weeks, 4 treatments in all.  Last time my treatments were more aggressive, every 2 weeks.  So seems like I'll have a little more recovery time in between chemo sessions.  Sounds good to me...Let's get this thing going!

Ric posted this picture and a request on Facebook for suggested colors for a wig, hinting that he likes red.  So most of the "votes" were for red, which would be my last choice.  I had a reddish wig last time that I hardly ever wore, because I just didn't think it looked good on me.  I might consider a compromise of brunette with red highlights.  Maybe.  I'm leaning toward medium blonde (like my hair used to be and like my daughter's is now) or light brown (a shade or two lighter than my hair color now).  Whatever I choose, I'll have fun with it.  And no curly hair... it's my chance to have straight hair without spending an hour with a flat iron!

I'm a little afraid to go to sleep at nights now and think maybe I should hide all the scissors in the house.  Ric is way too eager to shave my head!  A woman really can't wait for all her hair to just fall out... it's way too messy, so at some point it will have to be cut and then shaved.

I think the last time my hair started to fall out after about two weeks.  I'm starting out with different chemo drugs this time, so I'm not sure what to expect.  Is there anyone out there who started with Cytoxan & Taxotere who remembers when the hair loss started?  Just realized, soon it'll be Mokie, Dot, Bodhi and me who will be shedding... Ric will be the only one not losing any hair!

7 comments:

  1. Jeanne, Gloria's first 4 chemos were A/C, even though I can't be of much help to your question re: Taxotere/Cytoxan you'll be having, but in comparison her first treatment was on Oct. 11th and by Oct. 28th she was losing so much of her hair she had her friend cut it short and on Nov. 1 her husband shaved her head. Her treatments were every other week. I don't know if you're aware of Resolutions 2 in Barboursville, but it is a privately owned store that sells beautiful wigs, scarfs, etc., and they specialize in proper bra-fitting for women who've had reconstructive surgery, lumpectomy, etc., and it's done in the privacy of a closed, beautiful room. The employees (4 or 5) women have all been affected in some way by cancer or other diseases which caused hair loss. It is an intimate setting and they are the sweetest, caring individuals and they made Gloria feel at ease with the one-on-one personal attention. Here is the link if you're interested:

    http://www.resolutions2.com/

    Praying for you & your husband each day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of this place, and I'll try to get there and check it out. Thx for the info!

      Delete
  2. I vote medium blonde! I don't think I would look good as a redhead either, why is it all men like redheads? Blondes have more fun!=)

    ReplyDelete