Sunday

8/20/06 - Reaching Out

Ric and Steve played guitar and sang at the Summer Festival in Winfield… presented by the Crossroads Community Church. Ric also had them set up a Susan G. Komen table for me to hand out literature about breast cancer, and Komen merchandise to sell. I don’t like selling things. If my occupation involved sales, I would starve. But it turned out to be okay… people were happy to buy the pink ribbon ballcaps and wristbands knowing that the money supported a good cause. Some people didn’t buy anything, but donated money. Almost everyone mentioned someone they knew who has dealt with breast cancer… mother, sister, cousin, friend… seems everyone, male or female, knows someone who has or has had this disease.

Also, I met many nice people from the church. Their church has been meeting at Winfield High School for years. They have a Building Fund set up to eventually build a church. They want their ministry to be outreach to the community, and they decided not to wait until they had a building to do their ministry. So they keep drawing from the building fund to minister in the community… saying, “Oh well, maybe someday will have a building… maybe not… whatever happens is okay. Buildings create maintenance and expenses. We can do our ministries either way.” A church that’s not dependent on a building… pretty cool.

A Little Anxiety

Radiation treatments begin tomorrow. Even though I’d educated myself about radiation months ago, I’ve been reading more and more this week. There’s some controversy about antioxidant vitamins during radiation treatments, because there is evidence that antioxidants may protect cancer cells during radiation therapy. Dr. Plants says not to use them… and most of what I’ve read agrees. What else will I do to help the treatments be effective? Go back to drinking Boost everyday… the kind with additional protein. Extra protein will be needed for the daily repair of normal cells that are destroyed in the radiation.

I know this will be easy, with very little side effects, if any. I’ve been trying to deny it all week… but I’m a little scared. Although I’ve read a lot, it’s still an unknown experience for me. Fear of the unknown. Just as God was with me in the numerous tests and the waiting for results, in the month of surgeries, and in the months of chemotherapy, God will be with me in the radiation therapy. So there is nothing to fear. This is another step in the healing.

It’ll be cinchy.

“…Those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar
on wings like eagles;
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and
not be faint.”
--Isaiah 40:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment