Wednesday

8/30/06 - What do Dreams, Umbrellas, Underwear and Blue Bags Have in Common?

My wigs and hats are driving me nuts lately. Itchy and uncomfortable. I suppose that’s a sign that I’m feeling better… the head gear is bothersome, because nothing else really is!

However, I was really quite tired today, even though I had a good night’s sleep. I assume it’s a side-effect of the radiation that the doctor told me about. I kept thinking I would feel better as I went on with the day, but I stayed tired. Went home and took a nap after work. Had the funniest dreams. I dreamed that the General Manager of our company was sitting in the family room with my mother-in-law. He was in a recliner chair (even though we don’t own one) with his feet up and asked me to fix him some soup! I was afraid to ask him what he was doing there or how long he planned to stay, fearing I would hurt his feelings. I also dreamed that I kept finding beautiful shoes in my closet, one pair after another, but they were all too big for me… then my mother told me they were her shoes. In reality that made sense, because I’m 5’7” and wear a size 7 shoe, my mom is 5’2” and wears an 8-½ shoe. Goofy naptime entertainment.

We went to V100’s Working Women’s Wednesday this evening… and provided our own unplanned entertainment:

Once Ric picked up a folded-up black umbrella off the prize table and started to talk into it, thinking it was the wireless microphone. Ric’s mom said, “I can’t laugh at him doing that. Sometimes I pick up the TV remote control and start punching numbers to make a phone call!”

Another time I asked my friend Cher if she has a special closet for all her shoes (because she has so many great ones). She said she has shoes in every closet in the house… and owns more shoes than underwear. I said, “Well of course we don’t need as many pairs of underwear because we can just wash them when we need more.” And she laughingly replied, “Or just don’t wear any!” We all screamed and laughed at that. I then told about a wedding reception where I overheard a young girl in a bathroom stall tell her friends, “I just loooooove going without underwear,” and several of her friends replied, “Me too.” I went back to the reception and told Ric and our friend Matt, “Those girls out there dancing? Most of them aren’t wearing underwear.” Ric and Matt’s eyes got big and their mouths dropped open, and their eyes remained fixed on the dance floor for most of the rest of the evening.” There’s more… Later in the evening (at WWW) I heard Cher laughing hysterically. Mom Cochran (84 years old) had just told her, “If I had a body like you, I wouldn’t wear underwear either.”

(I just think it’s terrific that an “80 something” lady can join in the fun and frivolity of a bunch of women relieving life’s stresses. She could have easily pooh-poohed the underwear talk… but instead added her own spice to the conversation!)

In the last hour of the evening at WWW we give away prizes every 5-10 minutes. I was sitting at the V100 table and saw Cher and Ric pick up a bright blue bag. Cher remarked that she didn’t know who donated it to be given away. Ric said he didn’t know either, but they coupled the bag with some baseball tickets… called out a number and gave them away to a very appreciative winner. After WWW was wrapped up, Matt was packing up all the equipment and loading it in the van. He had a little pile of microphones and other equipment and asked, “Has anybody seen that blue bag I pack this stuff in?” We all burst out laughing. All together we said, “We gave it away as a prize!!!” Not believing us of course, Matt looked under tables and behind chairs, searching for the bag. After we convinced him we gave it away, he went looking for the lady who won the “prize.” Ric traded her a restaurant gift certificate for the blue bag. She was glad to give up the bag and her husband said, “I thought that thing looked a little chintzy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment