Saturday

8/25/06 - Friday Night

Ric’s mom came to visit us for a while. It was so good to see her. We all went to the Lighthouse Café this evening… and enjoyed wonderful live music. Ric does such a great job of bringing lots of local talent in to perform… and the church has done a fantastic job of setting the atmosphere and providing a warm welcome to all who come.

Saturday

Teays Maids are coming Monday morning to clean the house… compliments of my co-workers. I told Mom Cochran they would be here. I went to work early in the morning to do part of my work, then left to go buy some cat food. I dropped it off at the house before going back to work… but Mom C didn’t even know I was there… because she was in the family room running the vacuum! When I got up this morning, she was outside cleaning the deck furniture! She’s 84… or 83.

My eyebrows and eyelashes are growing back. Yippee! I can’t believe they’re growing back so quickly. They just finished completely falling out (I had three or four that had been hanging on) and now they’re coming back already. I told Ric… he said that’s because I’m healing. I recently read in a book that was given to me “There’s No Place Like Hope,” that we should remember that when the process of losing our hair has begun – the process of saving our life has too. So the process of growing it back means we’re well on our way to returning to a “normal” life. I always put the word normal in quotes, because (1) I think no one is really normal, and (2) I truly want my life to be changed by having had cancer… I hope I’ll be a better person than I was before. But I am glad that chemotherapy and the heavy medication days are behind me, and of course I’ll be glad when the radiation treatments are finished as well.

Also in that same book I read “Learn early to look at what surgery, chemo, or radiation is going to do FOR you instead of TO you. That makes all the difference.” And certainly I’m grateful for all the treatments available to cure cancer. Some of them, especially chemotherapy, are difficult to deal with… but I’ll be forever grateful that it was available for me!

The hair returning, the dry skin healing, nails looking better… all “outside”/”body” stuff… but it is a reflection of the way I feel inside – back to being fully aware, more energetic, regaining my health, and rid of cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment