Sunday

4/2/06 - Da Plan

This Thursday will be my first chemotherapy treatment. I decided to make a list of what to do to help maintain good health during chemo… actually, Ric and I made the list together over Whole-Wheat Grain & Nut Pancakes at IHOP:

1. Keep reading spiritual and inspirational writings. God is definitely speaking to me thru them.
2. Watch for signs from Nature and spend time outside everyday – even when it’s raining. (Someone told me to think of the rain as cleansing and invigorating!)
3. Eat a healthy diet – low fat, and of course no fried foods. Avoid acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits (can cause mouth problems during chemo). Eat legumes, nuts, etc.
4. Get some moderate exercise – walking being the best bet.
5. Do things to minimize contact with germs, since my immune system will be affected:
Carry hand sanitizer with me
Avoid shaking hands with people
Use Clorox wipes at work to clean shared work surfaces
Wash hands often… obsessively
Stay away from sick people
Avoid confined crowded enclosed places when w.b.c. count very low
6. Drink a ton of water
7. For dry mouth – Sugar-free candy; mouth rinse of ½ tsp baking soda + ½ cup water
8. Use fluoride toothpaste and fluoride mouthwash
9. Carry thermometer with me – if temperature goes to 100.5, go to emergency room (doctor’s orders)
10. Visualize good things happening to me during the actual chemo treatment. Visualize the chemo being the Light of God and positive Curing Power!

Maybe this is a bit much… I just don’t know. I feel better with a plan, and I like being prepared. And maybe a little bit in control?

Book Discusion

Ric and I talked about authors whose insights and info we trust. Philip Yancey’s name came up. We’ve read a couple of his books, but it was a long time ago. I might even have one on our bookshelf that I never got around to reading yet. We’ll look for something by him to read during the next few weeks.

Love Takes Many Forms

How could I have missed it? God has not come to me only in the scripture and books I read, but also in the PEOPLE around me! The emails from breast cancer survivors, people who are praying, in the flowers, the food, the books and the bookmarks, the care packages, little gifts meant to give me strength and faith, the cards… God is with me in the form of family, friends, co-workers (who also fall into the family & friends category), V100 listeners, caring nurses and doctors – all evidence that I am never, never alone. None of us are… we’re always being loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment