Friday

4/28/06 - Terrific

I pushed the snooze for 45 minutes before I got out of bed this morning! But once I got up… my old friend, Energy, returned again. After being at work for about ½ hour I walked downstairs and found myself walking at a fairly brisk pace. Soon I felt absolutely terrific. How wonderful to be aware that I was feeling healthy. One of those things I had taken for granted most of my life.

By the end of the workday, I ran out of steam somewhat, but nothing bad. Went home… took a nap… with the cats. Woke up, put my hair back on, and played the piano till time to meet Ric for our dinner date.

Irresponsible?… or Opportunity to Learn a Lesson?

Ric and I went to dinner at Sitar tonight… my treat to him. Took out my wallet to get my debit card to pay the bill… and it wasn’t there! What? No way. I’m Jeanne Cochran… fully organized and totally responsible financially. My debit card always goes in the same slot in my wallet… time after time. All things in my purse are in the same place all the time. Okay… when did I use it last? Last night… after the ballgame. I had to get gas in the car. I used the card at the pump… put it in the pocket of my jeans… and pumped the gas. We looked in the car when we left the restaurant, but no card. So it must be in my pocket. At any rate, I’ll stop by the gas station on the way home… and see if maybe it dropped out of my pocket, someone found it and turned it in.

At the gas station I asked if anyone turned in a debit card found from last night. The young boy seemed to be stifling a laugh, and said “I don’t think so… let me look. No, nothing here. Really, ma’am, no one ever actually turns in a lost credit card… they just use it.” I’m thinking he must think I’m really naïve… and I know cards get stolen and used all the time… but I also really, truly believe that there are a lot of people who would find a card on the ground, and take it into the business where it was found… or call the banking institution… or make some attempt to contact the owner. I usually believe the best about people first (not always… sometimes I misjudge prematurely). The guy in line behind me did laugh, and said “Yeh, people that find lost cards just use them and use them, until they can’t no more.”

I left the gas station, sure that I would find the card at home in my jeans pocket, or on the floor of my closet. But I didn’t… nothing there. Ric asked if I wore a jacket last night and put the card in that pocket. No… it’s been warm weather… no jacket.

Next step… go on-line and check my transactions. Nothing posted today, and neither was my transaction for gasoline… so no way of knowing if it was used today. Tried to call the bank, but couldn’t obtain any way to cancel the card. I’ll just have to wait till first thing in the morning.

Ric said, “You know, it’s just laying somewhere nearby. We just haven’t seen it yet.” Now normally (that’s the before-I-had-cancer Jeanne) I would be freaking out. Freaking out! Crying, panicked, hysterical… worried! But I just told Ric… there’s nothing else I can do right now. I’m not going to worry… I’ll deal with it tomorrow. He said, “Yes, because things you worry about…” “…usually never happen anyway,” I finished.

I went back downstairs to retrieve my laptop… and on the way I saw the coat closet and remember I did wear a jacket at the game last night, because it was chilly. I put my hand in the pocket of my V100 jacket, and voila… my debit card!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment