Monday

4/3/06 - Eat Your Heart Out Oprah - God Has a Book Club

Read my email this morning… so many heartfelt words of encouragement. One email from a friend who used to work here told me about a book he thought I might find helpful… “Where Is God When It Hurts?” by Philip Yancey! (Just yesterday Ric and I were talking about him!) So many people have opened themselves up in prayer for me. God is at work in them – that’s clearly evident. I pray that all the people praying for Ric and I will find blessings in their lives as well. I’m learning when we all come together for a good purpose, doubt and fear and self-consciousness just melt away and God’s miracles come shining through.

Push

Ran out of pages in my handwritten journal and found another partially filled notebook. In it are some notes from a Bible Study class (actually the first time we went to Baptist Temple) with Dr. Dennis Johnson from October of 2004:

Pray
Until
Something
Happens

You get a VISION in prayer.
God may be waiting for you to pray and catch the vision.
Prayer will bring light to things we never knew.
Prayer cuts God loose from the shackles our unbelief puts on Him!

The main thing Jesus came to do was to change our perception – how we see things!

Mammograms Cause Jamming and Cramming

Rick Johnson told me this morning that someone told him that the imaging center at which they work has just been jammed with ladies getting mammograms – practically non-stop for the last two weeks! Yea! I’m so thankful women are taking their health risks seriously and doing what they can to maintain the best health possible.

What’s Strength Really?

Mike Buxser (our General Manager) told me he thinks I’m strong. I persevere, but I’m not sure I always feel strong. He said (and Ric too) he’s not sure he would have made the same decision I did to go public about something like this. I think women find it much easier to share with each other… especially if it will be helpful to do so. As women, we don’t ever really expect to “fix” each other… but just to be there and support and nurture one another. Men have much more pressure to maintain a stance that nothing really bothers them. I think I wish for men the freedom to be honest about their vulnerabilities and insecurities. I’m finding the more honest and open I am, the more support, comfort and assurance I get. If I am strong… that’s the reason – others are holding me up!

“Sister, Let Me Be Your Servant”

So many women have shared their breast cancer survival stories with me… I have trouble finding the words to express my gratitude, but there’s a song I know that keeps going through my mind. Here’s the words to this song I learned on an Emmaus Walk years ago. The word “sister” can be replaced with “brother” of course:

Sister, let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too.

We are pilgrims on a journey, we are sisters on the road,
We are here to help each other, walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you, in the night-time of your fear,
I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping, when you laugh I’ll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow, till we’ve seen this journey through.

When we sing to God and heaven, we shall find such harmony,
Born of all we’ve known together, of Christ’s love and agony.

Sister, let me be your servant, Let me be as Christ to you,
Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too.

Maybe I can get Ric to sing this on the air sometime… the melody is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment