Saturday

4/29/06 - Another Angel

By my bedside now is a beautiful little gold and jeweled angel, all the way from Mexico… watching over me. It’s a reminder of God’s promise to be with us always… and how He comes to us in so many ways… most often through warm, loving people… with giving natures and kind hearts.

Surviving

My friend and co-worker, Mebi gave me a lesson outline from her Sunday school class which she thought I would find interesting. The list is a great reminder, lest I forget, of the things that keep me going. I’ll write them down here in my journal… so I can refer back if I should find myself slipping.

TRAITS OF SPIRITUAL SURVIVORS WHO FACE DESPAIRING CIRCUMSTANCES (CRISIS)

Spiritual Survivors:
1 – resolve their feelings about God
2 – find courage in the example of other sufferers
3 – draw strength from the community of believers, the church
4 – take comfort as the Scriptures come alive
5 – focus on today
6 – acknowledge personal growth through their suffering
7 – tolerate life’s unanswered questions

Taken from Coming Back by Steve & Valerie Bell

Mammograms Save Lives

Received a notice from the American Cancer Society… and read in the newspaper about U.S. Senate Bill 1955, which could gut laws that require health insurance to cover regular mammograms and other lifesaving cancer screenings. The idea is to curb the cost of health care insurance premiums. There will be a rally on Tuesday at Noon at the Federal Building to urge Senator Byrd to vote NO on this bill. We need affordable health care for everyone in this country… but this is not the way to make it affordable. We cannot afford to lose LIVES!

The demands of time on our lives, trying to balance our personal budgets while the cost of living increases, fear of diagnostic tests, not appreciating the necessity of screening tests… and more… already exist as excuses not to get mammograms for early detection of breast cancer. Prohibitive cost of a mammogram is a reason not to get it! I know that if I would have had to pay $200 or $300 for my recent mammogram… I would not have had it. My doctor would have encouraged me to do so… but I would have said… “No, I don’t feel any problem… I’m in excellent health… I cannot afford the cost. No, I’ll do it sometime in the future, when I have the extra money.” And perhaps a year, or a few years from now… it would be too late. Too late… because the cost was prohibitive!

We must change our health care system… everyone deserves medical insurance… but everyone deserves life-saving diagnostic tests too.

No comments:

Post a Comment