Thursday

4/27/06 - Just Do It

Slept well last night… tired before getting up… but knew today I would feel better once I made it out of bed. And that’s just how the day went… felt like I was springing back! It was once again so good to be back at work… and I’m still aware of how healing it is to be able to continue my normal routine. I thought all day about going to the baseball game tonight… but wasn’t sure I’d be able to. Went home from work, tried to nap, but couldn’t sleep, so just rested. I’m becoming like our cats… just laying around being lazy! As I continued to think about the ball game… I realized that we should go even if only for an hour. It’s better to get out and do something… for even a little while… than get in a rut of staying home and doing nothing. We ended up staying for over two hours… and it was great! Great to be out… in the fresh air… surrounded by lots of people having fun.

I need to remember that for the future. Do what you can… nothing more… and nothing less! Ah-ha… another lesson, not only for these next several months… but all of life!

That’s My Mom?

Got a phone call from my son, Danny… checking to see how I was doing. Danny was in Charleston on Monday morning… and stopped by to see me. He told me tonight that the fact that I had cancer really didn’t hit him until he saw me this time. Although I was “looking good” (in my new wig)… I think he was aware that underneath I had no hair… which made a significant impact. Also it was the day the newspaper article appeared. He read the article later in the day… and told me, “I wasn’t just reading about a DJ in Charleston with breast cancer…it wasn’t just anybody… I said, that’s my Mom!” Poor little (6’2” 200 lb.) guy just cried. A delayed reaction. My heart broke for him, but I assured him that I’ve always known I will be well… and even more so, now that I’ve heard from so many breast cancer survivors right here in Charleston. Even though he feels it too – that I will be okay… he doesn’t want me to have to go through the difficulties the next several months will bring. Sometimes I think it’s harder for our families than ourself.

I will go on the air and remind mothers that if you find yourself making all kinds of excuses not to have a mammogram, think of your child reading cancer statistics… and thinking “that includes my mom.” A mammogram won’t prevent cancer, but early detection can mean survival… and at the very least less invasive treatments. It’s an important test that’s out there for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment