Tuesday

4/4/06 - An Award

Today I received the Employee of the Month Award for March. At first I just laughed, thinking it was a “sympathy” vote. Then I read the memo and realized it was a vote of SUPPORT… and I felt greatly loved. I still find it difficult to understand why people think I’m courageous to be public about my breast cancer – to me it’s a “no-brainer.” And now it’s become more than just to compel other women to be pro-active about their health… it’s also about being honest with all our V100 listeners… women and men. Satellite radio is all about the music, but local radio is all about interaction and connection – usually in the form of presenting the music, traffic and weather, funny stories, entertainment, contests and fun. But occasionally we share on a deeper level, when we live and work together in the same community. Sometimes there’s just a good reason to do so… in fact, I feel it would be wrong not to share… when others have a chance of benefiting from the sharing. I’ve found others want to share their experiences too and offer their support… I’m finding many want to share in my experience and be allowed to be part of the healing. It’s a two-way street… and I respect the folks whom I’ve had the good fortune to interact with, enough to let them be on the street with me, if they want.

Cancer… Employee of the Month. Well, it’s going to be pretty tough for anyone to top this for next month! :-)

A Party

Ric, in his loving, quirky way, just offered to throw a Hair Shaving Party for me. Now I’ve known that when my hair starts to fall out, it’ll be easier (at the very least, on the plumbing), if I just go ahead and shave it off and be done with it. But I thought I’d ask Ric to do it and it would be an intimate thing. A party? I’m not sure. Maybe with some of our closest friends… people who could both cry and laugh with us. In a weird and strange sort of way it could be fun. Maybe. I told Ric I’d think about it.

But then he said, “I’m thinking about doing it right away, tomorrow maybe!” No way! I’m not ready yet. I haven’t even had chemo yet and I just paid for this new haircut. And for some reason, which I’m not quite sure of, I have to have the experience of it starting to fall out… even if it makes me cringe. Ric’s giving me an opportunity to avoid possible anguish, but I just don’t think I want to let go of my hair yet. Now, isn’t that a hoot? Me, who’s cursed this curly hair since I was a kid!

I remember one day when I was little, I washed my hair and went outside and shook my head from side to side until it was dry. I put my hands over my hair… it felt sooooooooo smooth and straight. I ran back inside to see my long, sleek, shiny hair in the mirror. With eager anticipation, I smiled into the mirror only to see soft, but wild, frizzy hair, sticking straight out – about a foot wide! I quickly realized that’s why my mom and dad were wide-eyed and suppressing laughter as I walked so proudly through the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment