Monday

9/25/06 - Charleston Radiation Therapy

Began 6th week of radiation treatments this morning. Last Wed, Thur, Fri and Sat… extremely tired and fatigued. It was difficult to get out of bed every morning… and I just plodded through the days… coming home after work to nap… yet still unable to sleep. That always confounds me. How can I be so tired and yet not sleep? I even have trouble going to sleep at night.

Now it’s been two days without radiation treatments and one day off work… I’m feeling better today. The area just below my collar bone is quite red and very, very itchy and stinging. I’m getting used to not scratching… instead I just grit my teeth and say “Eeeeeeeek”! Almost finished though… this week and next… then I’ll be done.

Penny Moss from WSAZ did another follow-up interview today… at radiation therapy. Dr. Plants also took part in the interview. He did such a terrific job. He’s a doctor who is really passionate about his work. You can tell Dr. Plants just loves what he does. I like being treated by a doctor who loves his job! As part of the interview process, we went to several different areas of the radiation department… and I got to see some behind-the-scenes work that goes on. Wow! So much more than I realized. There’s a whole team who works together to develop the radiation treatment plan for each patient. It makes me feel safe knowing how carefully the treatment is planned… and makes me proud that we have the latest technology right here in West Virginia. It was also cool to be in the treatment room and look around and hear an explanation of how everything works… usually I just see the ceiling and the top of the machine!

The interview will air on WSAZ-TV this Thursday at 5:30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment