Friday

9/29/06 - TV Interview

The interview on WSAZ-TV aired yesterday. Again, I’m impressed with how they narrow down an hour interview to 4 minutes or so and nicely capture the essence of what was said. Dr. Plants made the point that it may seem to some people that the doctor doesn’t spend much time with the patient… but hours and hours by many different medical professionals go into the treatment planning phase. (Actually Dr. Plants did spend a lot of time with me on the first visit, explaining the process and answering questions.) Penny explained how my workday begins with a visit to Charleston Radiation… and then there was footage of me lying on the radiation treatment table. Of course I wasn’t really receiving a treatment, but we wanted to give folks an idea of what it was like. Footage was also shown of the computer and development of the radiation treatment plan according to the CT scan. Dr. Plants did such a wonderful job of explaining the process in terms we could all understand. Penny reiterated for me how important it is for all women to receive routine breast exams and mammograms… reminding folks that I felt completely healthy, with no signs of anything being wrong… and that the mammogram I had in January was the only thing that told me I had cancer. Otherwise, the cancer would still be growing in my body!

Just Cure It

Two breast cancer survivors I had become acquainted with through e-mail are part of a team going to Philadelphia on October 6 to take part in the “3 Day”… a 60 mile walk, which takes place over three days… to raise money for and awareness about breast cancer. They were having a fundraiser today to help with their travel expenses. I went to it because I was eager to meet them personally and do a little to help them out. What a joy to meet Sherry and Jane Ann! They not only survived breast cancer at a very young age, with little children to care for… but they’ve reached a point where they are going to walk sixty miles in three days! I remember when Sherry first e-mailed me about the event. I was still undergoing chemotherapy, and knew that the severe side effects were temporary, and that I would not always be sick… but in the back of my mind I thought I would always be tired. When Sherry told me she was going to walk 60 miles… I thought “Wow… there will be a time when I fully recover!” She inspired me to know I would be able to exercise again and maybe even accomplish amazing goals! There are six women on their team… their team name is “Just Cure It.”

No comments:

Post a Comment