Wednesday

5/3/06 - Preparation Day

It’s the day before third round of chemo. I feel absolutely great today… but hanging over me is the knowledge that by tomorrow evening, I’ll be feeling not so great, and most everything, including water, will taste like metal again. I don’t like that I’m allowing that feeling to pervade me today. Thankfully, I’ve got my wonderful job… not only do I like what I do, but my mind is focused on other things… positive things.

Went to the hospital for blood work. No one recognized me at first… old curly hair gone… new straight hair in. We laughed about it. Everyone loves my new do!

Today’s the day to get everything done that I won’t feel like doing for several days… (Ric picked up the prescriptions), laundry, straighten up the house, go to the grocery store (largely to stock up on cranberry juice, because it will still taste like cranberry juice :-) )… gather a few things to take to chemo treatment tomorrow.

TV News & Entertainment

Penny Moss from WSAZ wants to do a follow-up interview tomorrow. The plan is to meet before my treatment outside the David Lee Cancer Center… and if they’ll allow the TV crew inside… maybe even shoot some footage of me receiving the actual chemo treatment. The segment will then air in the 5:30 pm news segment on Friday. What do I want people to learn from the interview this time? The good and the bad. The good news is I’m doing well, continuing to live a pretty normal life… and let folks know there IS hope after a cancer diagnosis. The bad news is that it is nevertheless a disruption in one’s life… filled with concerns and changes, and that chemo is tough at times. Remind women that mammograms are the key to early detection… mammograms let you know something is wrong, even when you have no visible signs. Also the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is on Saturday… it’s a great way to get caught up in the spirit of a pro-active, positive mind-set of being a woman taking control of her health… and supporting life-saving programs for women with, or women who will be diagnosed with… breast cancer.

American Idol Results Night… Elliott and Paris were the bottom two… Paris was the one to leave. She has a dynamic voice. I found myself thinking if she had waited a couple years to enter the competition… she would have that maturity edge that could make her the Idol. She’s certainly a wonderful little spirit… an excellent role model… with tons of talent to boot. Elliot stays… but I’m sure for only one more week. After that, it’ll be tough… almost wish there could be a 3-way tie. But Katharine’s still my fav!

Why?

Today has been a really difficult day for Ric… and my heart just aches for him. He has an abscess in a tooth… and is in horrible pain. Dr. Monday gave him meds… but the pain is too much. Root canal is scheduled. But for now, it’s really bad. Cottage cheese is all he could tolerate eating this evening… that’s not much. I know he’s worried about how he’s going to take care of me during the next few days… but I feel like I’m going to do even better this time. I just wish he didn’t have to feel so responsible for me… but as he once reminded me, he would have to quit loving me to not be concerned and not do things for me… and that’s not going to happen. I just pray for God to help him through these next several days… and I pray for his pain to ease. It just kills me to see him hurting so much. You’d think we’d be exempt from additional problems right now… but that’s not the way it works. I look for a lesson in everything now… but I don’t get this one… yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment