Monday

5/1/06 - Lions & Tigers & Bears... or Hats & Bottles & Hair

It’s Monday… first day of May… back to work… after a refreshing weekend. I feel just terrific… no side effects at all… felt just like I used to… back in January… before I knew anything was wrong… when I thought I was absolutely perfectly healthy.

Occasionally it runs through my mind that maybe I really never had cancer… it was all a huge mistake. But I saw the pathology reports myself. Both of them. One after the lump was removed… and one after the lymph node surgery. Of course there was no mistake. But if I would ever let my mind wonder… and think there was… at least I know cancer was found in two places… unlikely two mistakes would have been made. So, back to reality… the treatments I’m dealing with are necessary… it is the right thing to do.

Why would I be thinking this when I’m feeling so good? I guess one reason is that I do feel so good. And then the other reason is that on Thursday I will have my third round of chemo. I got out 3 prescription bottles today. One medicine I had to start taking today. The other two bottles had to be refilled. And then more bottles that still have pills will be brought out on Thursday. Those ugly amber bottles back on my bathroom counter again. Why can’t they make them in various colors? Then at least they would be pretty. I can’t take the pills out and put them in something else… too much of a risk that I would take the wrong medicines at the wrong time. So they just stay in the ugly, yucky orangey, yellowy, ambery… did I mention ugly… bottles? Why do I concern myself with the color of the medicine bottles?

Received another Care Package from my daughter and family today! What fun… going through the box. Three terrific fun hats… red, white & blue. Hand sanitizer… scented… vanilla… cucumber melon. And my favorite… a card and two scarves that Tierra picked out for me… purple and pink. And a card for Ric! Like a little kid at Christmas… I feel loved.

Went to my first breast cancer support group meeting. Met lots of nice ladies… all ages… all different stories. It’s amazing how quickly breast cancer survivors connect. For the most part it’s a positive group of women… who expect nothing short of a full life ahead of them. Two husbands were at the meeting… one of whom hopes to get a group started for men who are caring for women with breast cancer. The guys so often have nowhere to turn (especially in the early stage of diagnosis) with their concerns, fears and questions. They’re so busy being the main support person, they just don’t have time to grieve and work through their own emotions.

My second wig came in the mail today. A little shorter than the other one… with highlights. So I went into the bathroom at work and put on the new one, with tags still hanging. Got Ric’s approval… and my friend Cher cut off the tags. She said, “I think I’m jealous! You can just change your hairstyle that easily.” Yeah, if it wasn’t for the cancer part, everybody would truly be envious. It’s fun to have two. I think I’ll order one more…

No comments:

Post a Comment