Wednesday

5/31/06 - Feeling Flushed?

Hot and humid, yet beautiful day. Looking forward to having lunch with Susi today. Worked until time to go to hospital for lab work. Susi came to the station and went to the hospital with me. It was nice to have her there… I was both proud to introduce my sister-in-law to Linda (my oncology nurse) and Linda to Susi. My care at CAMC is so terrific… and the staff so nice… I know it made Susi feel better to see that I’m in good hands!

We went to the Power Alley Grill at the ballpark for lunch… and talked about all sorts of things… including the fact that Susi will be a grandma in October. What a special treat… just th’ girls. I do believe that’s the first time in the six years we’ve known each other that it’s been just the two of us doing something together! It was fun.

As we waited outside for Skip to pick her up… a storm was brewing, with a strong wind. Found out my wig is pretty-well wind-proof… I didn’t have to hold it on, and it stayed on my head!

Got prescriptions filled… gold bottles are lined up on the bathroom counter. Tonight will be a different regimen… because tomorrow’s chemo will be a different regimen. Tonight at 12:00 midnight I take 5 Decadrons and then 5 more at 6:00 am. I believe that’s to help prevent an allergic reaction to the Taxol I will receive tomorrow. Each dose is five times the amount I would take after previous chemos… and that’s the medicine that keeps me awake… and makes me hungry… and makes my face, neck and chest red and flushed. So, I will take an Ambien tonight for sleep. I’ve never taken a sleeping pill before. But I certainly do need to be able to rest before chemo tomorrow. This will be interesting.

From time to time throughout the day, I kept getting the giggles. I was remembering being at Jill and Daniel’s house on Sunday… the toilet overflowed and Jill was calling for Daniel to come and help… but he and Tierra and I were talking and didn’t notice at first. Then little Sophie came out into the room… and stood with wide eyes and flailing arms and dancing feet, saying something like “Zeep, Dup, Doe, Pow!”… ‘cause she didn’t know the words for “Hurry, Help, there’s water all over the place and Mommy needs you Quick.” And then she hurriedly dashed back toward the bathroom. Maybe you had to be there, but every time I think about it I laugh out loud.

Ric too… he got the giggles a million times today, because when we were at the bookstore the other night, we were sitting in the chairs close by the restrooms… and all of a sudden there was this booming sound of water gushing, a man screaming “Whoa!”, who later comes out with wet clothes. Now that would not be one bit funny if it (whatever “it” was) happened to Ric… but for some sick reason… he found it quite amusing. Quite. I think I’ll remind him of the incident next time we’re in church. He always says I can’t jump out and scare him, like he does to me, because he would have a heart attack… but he’s said nothing about not mentioning exploding toilets.

I just realized… both things that are making us laugh have to do with bathrooms. That’s weird. We’re weird. “We’re weird” – that’s impossible to say five times in a row. So it must not be true. Ric and I are not weird after all. We’re just happy. And afraid to go in the bathroom.

Enjoying “bathroom humor”… Ric says we’re oh so grown-up now!

No comments:

Post a Comment