Thursday

6/29/06 - 7th Chemo - Next to Last!

Walked into the David Lee Cancer Center waiting room this morning. Looked around. There were empty chairs scattered throughout the room. Where will I sit? There was a burst of laughter among a group of people in the back corner. I decided to sit in the empty chair next to them. Good decision… pleasant start to the morning.

The chemo treatment went smoothly today, as usual. I slept a couple hours during the treatment, because the Benedryl in the IV to help prevent allergic reactions, just knocks me out. I was really tired after the treatment today, more so than usual. Came home and immediately fell sleep for a couple hours.

I’m sitting in bed now, and going to read for a while. I’m tired, but realize I may not get much sleep tonight, since I’m now taking the Decadron again too. I don’t feel that hyper though, so who knows? Sleep may come.

We’ve been reading Dorothea Benton Frank’s books lately… all take place in the Charleston, South Carolina area. Started “Sullivan’s Island” today at treatment. It may be the best yet. Going to read till I get sleepy and hope the Benedryl I just took kicks in. Also, hope Ric and I get to go to South Carolina after radiation treatments are over. We are ready for a vacation!

Oh, we do get a little getaway time next weekend. Going to Snowshoe Mountain for the Fire On The Mountain Chili Cookoff. We plan to relax and enjoy the scenery… just veg out in the mountains of West Virginia.

I just remembered while I was at the cancer center today… that my time there is nearly over… and I’m going to miss the nurses there. Isn’t that amazing? At first I was just scared to death about the whole cancer thing… and scared about the chemotherapy. But from my first visit both with Dr. Cohen and his nurse, Linda… and then with all the chemo nurses, Terry, Donna, Sarah, Heather, Marietta, and Loralea… a unique bond was formed. My life has been in the hands of these folks… which actually makes it a very intimate relationship! It’s not that we all know a lot about each others’ lives… we know some things. It’s a trust… and a feeling of safety that I’ve had among these women. They’ve been patient and understanding… friendly and funny… caring and nurturing. How do they do it day after day with so many patients… and still make me feel like I’m the only one? These nurses have been some of the best women I’ve known in my life. Yes, I will miss them. I’ll see them from time to time when I go in for checkups and such. But the essence of what they’ve given me will remain in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment