Friday

3/10/06 - “All My Life’s A Circle”- Harry Chapin

Went back to work today. Thought it would just be a usual day. It didn’t work out like that. Talking to people who already knew was fine, and also encouraging and positive. Telling people who didn’t know was difficult… I still can’t say the words “I have breast cancer.” I had a lot of pain and swelling too, so I wasn’t even physically ready to go back. I just broke down. Ric took me back home.

Taking Ric’s advice, I sat out on the deck in the sunshine. I also took 3 naps!

I got a call from the surgeon’s office to schedule my next surgery (lymph nodes). Thought at first this meant there was more cancer, but no… this is just the next step. I cried some more (surprise, surprise).

Ric went on-line and made some phone calls to find a support group for me. After numerous calls my “contact” turned out to be someone we already knew and liked, and now even lives in our neighborhood!!! Debbie is a breast cancer survivor. I’ll call her later.

Ric and I went to one of our favorite restaurants (Sitar of India, on Lee Street). Saw our friends Missy and Steve there. We had fun, laughed, and relaxed. I mentioned wanting to buy some books on visualization and imagery – Missy’s eyes lit up… “I already have some and I’ll loan ‘em to you!”

When we got home I called Debbie… she was very helpful and alleviated many of my fears. She also told me, now that the lump is removed, I don’t have to hurry to make the next decisions – it’s all “clean up” work from here on out. She promised to be here for me throughout the process, and is going to loan me some good books. I feel good again, and will be able to sleep.

I hope Ric can sleep tonight. He’s worn out and in pain. God, please take care of Ric… and let him know he still has to take care of himself too!

We first met Debbie at Uno’s in Teays Valley when Ric and Steve were singing. Harry Chapin was Ric’s biggest musical influence. Debbie and her husband are huge Harry Chapin fans and gave Ric a video of one of his performances in Germany. They also went on one of the R&J Runaways with us. Now they live around the corner from us! Debbie comes back into our lives at this point in time… It’s just a like a big CIRCLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment