Wednesday

3/29/06 - Surgery #3

Back to Surgi-Care this morning to have the port implanted. Ric used his new cell phone again to video the event – pre-op only. I’m sure he would have taped the entire surgery if allowed in the operating room.

Went fine. Some pain and pressure… but this port will make chemo delivery (and drawing blood for routine tests) so much easier. It’s under the skin, so no worries about infection. I can even go swimming!

Care at CAMC has just been excellent. I’ve been to a lot of different areas of the hospital over the last couple months, and the nursing staff everywhere is fabulous. I can tell they’re all very busy, but everything I need is taken care of quickly. I know they see patients with the same conditions day in and day out, yet they’ve not lost that understanding that the patient is experiencing something for the first time. And when you’re the patient, and feeling vulnerable, uncertain and on unfamiliar ground… a compassionate nurse is a God-send… and Angel. I left the hospital today with a lifted-up heart!

Wassup With That?

I noticed Ric stuffing my white surgical cap into his backpack as we left. What is he up to?!?!

Great Book

I’ve been reading “Spiritual Survival Guide” given to me by our pastor, Dennis Johnson: To hear what God is saying to me, read from the Bible without any attempt to study it. Listen for certain words God’s Spirit may be bringing to my attention. Allow periods of silence… and let God’s message be revealed. Imagine the scripture I’m reading as a love letter from God written especially for me.

The Faithfulness of God

I look to Nature… and ask, Where will my help come from?
My help will come from God, who made heaven and this earth.

He will not let me fall.
My protector is always awake.

The protector of Jeanne never dozes or sleeps.
God guides her and is by her side to protect her.

He is with me while the sun shines during the day,
And when the moon lights the sky at night.
God keeps me safe and secure.

Psalm 121 (paraphrased)

Hair, Hats & High Fashion

I made an appointment to get my hair cut. Everything I read says it makes losing hair much easier – less messy when it starts to fall out… and less traumatic as well. Even though I know it won’t bother me that much to lose my hair, I’m realistic enough to know I could have a “moment.”

I’ve got my order ready to place for a cute wig and some pretty hats and scarves. I’ll be stylin’! I’ll have the order delivered to work and open the box with all the girls. It’ll be fun.

Round 3

I’m in a lot of pain, really intense. Didn’t expect it from this surgery. Felt really good earlier, but so much pressure now. It hurts just to move my right arm, and that was my “good” arm. My left side feels somewhat better though – probably because the stitches under my arm were taken out today… or maybe just ‘cause there’s more pain on the right! Oh well, I know it’s temporary… will feel good in a couple days. I feel the need to write this down, then if I feel discouraged at some point in the future, I can look back and see what I’ve survived so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment