Tuesday

3/21/06 - This Is It

Today’s the day... I go public about having breast cancer. No turning back then. My employers keep asking “Are you sure?” The answer’s always the same… “Yes!” I’m counting on women realizing that if it can happen to me, it can happen to them too… or someone they love. I’m hoping doctors’ offices and imaging centers will be filled with women seeking breast exams and mammograms!

Nice Doctors

Received call from Dr. Covelli today. All pathology reports are back. I had cancer in 4 of 14 lymph nodes. I already knew 2 contained cancer, so it seemed like good news. But Dr. Covelli said it would have been better to have none with cancer… and this puts me into Early Stage III. We’ll start chemo soon after the port is implanted (next Wed.) and then when it’s time for radiation, likely in addition to the breast, the left arm will also need to be radiated.

After I told him a had a whole list of questions to ask, but I couldn’t find my list, he said “I’ve got time for you to look for your list – go ahead – I’ll wait.” If found it – he answered all my questions, and I felt better.

I also asked about my oncologist. He said I’ll likely go to David Lee Cancer Center. Can I pick out my oncologist? He said they’re all terrific, just different personalities. And I said I want someone with a good personality, like him. He laughed and said I shouldn’t have any trouble with any of the doctors. Seriously, I’m emotional, I’m a bit squeamish (okay… very) and I want someone who’ll be patient with me… till I get tougher and stronger.

My dentist, Dr. Danny Monday, is going to give my teeth another good check-up and cleaning before chemo and a fluoride rinse for protection. Support just keeps coming from all directions.

It’s Out Now!

Ric and I went on the air together, and disclosed that I have breast cancer. It went well. Ric asked folks not to call me right away, and to give me some breathing space, but e-mail would be okay. Immediately tons of emails poured in… all offering prayers, comfort and support. I was amazed. How will I ever have time to respond to all? I’m just overwhelmed… especially by the number of people who said we here at V100 are like family, including numerous people who had never e-mailed or called us before. Once again I’m blessed by such an outpouring of love.

Links & Things

I’ve got the website page almost ready to go with resource and information links set up. I want to start typing in these journal entries, too… just as a way for people who are interested can keep in touch with what’s going on… and also to help anyone dealing with the same thing (or who may be in the future) just get some comfort in knowing they’re not alone.

Idol & Salsa

Watched American Idol tonight. My top 5 – Cathryn, Taylor, Chris, Paris, Mandisa, Lisa. Ric and I watched while eating taco chips and Jenny Murray’s Mango Salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment