Wednesday

3/22/06 - Drains Are for Sinks... or So I Thought

Went to Dr. Covelli’s office and Sheila took drain out from under my arm. Glad that’s gone. (But also glad it was there to do its work.)

Pearly Whites

Went to dentist today. (Ric called Danny Monday for me to ask about fluoride to protect my teeth during chemo – Danny set appointment for me for a cleaning to make sure my teeth are in good shape before chemo. I felt really cared for. Kim cleaned my teeth and we chatted about American Idol. Danny explained how lack of saliva during chemo treatments can cause problems… told me to use sugar-free drops in my mouth to help maintain saliva. Gave me special fluoride toothpaste. Said they all sat by the radio and listened when Ric and I made the announcement yesterday.

Is It Too Much to Ask to Keep My Brain?

Sheila called from Dr. Covelli’s: I’ve been referred to the David Lee Cancer Center. Also said next step will be a PET scan to check for any other cancer, and an MRI to check for any cancer in my brain. I hung up the phone and cried thinking of the possibility of the cancer having spread to my brain. My first thought was if it was there, I’d just give up. I think this was my biggest scare so far.

Of course, then I realized these tests must be done. It’s just routine procedure. It just seems surreal that I even need these tests, or surgeries, or anything at all! I don’t feel sick! I had no aches or pains before this! I don’t walk up stairs… I run!

Of course the moral of this story is… have regular, routine mammograms! We need them, no matter how terrific we feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment