Wednesday

3/8/06 - The "C" Word

I didn’t start keeping a journal right away… but the day after surgery (3/8/06), I realized I was going to have to write, if nothing else for therapeutic reasons!

When I first heard the doctor say “cancer” as it related to me, I was in shock… and I was afraid. So was Ric… there was fear when our eyes connected… but we quickly realized God was there with us too… and we would get through this.

For the next several days I was in basically good spirits, but tears would come and go abruptly… unexpectedly… sometimes in mid-sentence!

The next several days were also filled with telling family and close friends. Ric took care of most of this for me.

As I ponder how I’m going to deal with cancer, I remember reading Dr. Andrew Weil’s books some years ago… and recall him talking about not “fighting” a disease, but “embracing” it, accepting it, and realize that a disease often comes our way to teach us something. I’ll have to find that book again.

Ric’s Pre-Op Video

We got new cell phones with photo/video capability. Seemed pretty cool when we got em, until Ric decided to video me before surgery… in my “little old man” hospital gown, gray bootie-socks, white cap covering my hair, strip across my forehead recording my temperature, no jewelry, no make-up, no contact lenses. We laughed a lot during the taping! Ric also showed me a video he did of our cat Dot, where he asked her questions and she shook her head yes or no… some trickery involved, but that made me laugh too. God’s grace and love often come to me through humor… and through Ric!

Telling It All

It didn’t take long to realize I would have to tell “my story” on the air. So many people think Ric and I have a perfect life. If everyone knows I have breast cancer, they’ll also know it can happen to them, or someone they love. Before moving to Charleston, I worked for over 20 years in a law firm… and now I’m on a radio station! God put me here, trusting I will use this position wisely. I have to reach out to other women… and impress upon them the need for regular check-ups and mammograms.

Tennis

Jill (my daughter) and Daniel (my son-in-law) and Tierra & Sophie came to visit the evening after my surgery. We had some tears, but laughed too. Daniel is from Mexico and some of us in the family have been learning Spanish. I have a CD I often play in the car to help in the learning process. I recently mastered the phrase “Tengo un raquete, pero no tengo una pelota.” I love the way the phrase rolls off my tongue… so I proudly displayed my new skill to everyone. Ric asked what it meant. I said “I have a racquet, but I don’t have a ball.” Knowing I don’t even play tennis, Ric said “That’s wonderful, Jeanne. I can see how you’ll use that a lot.” We all roared. God’s grace… coming thru again.

Here’s Your Sign

I found Dr. Weil’s book about healing on our bookshelves, and as I was looking through it, an old bookmark literally fell out onto my lap. It said “Do not be afraid of tomorrow… God is already there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment