Thursday

3/16/06 - Surgery Days

Yesterday and today – A lot of “blurry places.” Had surgery yesterday… wasn’t what I’d hoped for… had to go beyond sentinel lymph node biopsy and do axillary lymph node surgery. That of course means the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes and maybe beyond. Won’t know till all path reports come back.

Yesterday I wasn’t sure how bad it was, and I had never seen such sadness in Ric’s eyes, so I thought this must not be good. Whenever someone called, he went out of the room to take the call. I still felt so safe and secure with Ric there with me.

This morning I asked Dr. Covelli how serious this is. He said, “well it’s serious… we’re dealing with breast cancer, but we’ll talk more when we get all the path reports back.” I cried. He also told me he could tell I was a strong woman… and I thought “yes, he’s right.”

Ric was back at the hospital before 7am so he could be there when the doctor came in. I’m back home now… and it’s good to be here!

Jeanne K – Next Olympic Champion

Dr. Covelli told me that it is very important to do therapy exercises to retain mobility in my left shoulder. (I recall Debbie telling me the importance of this also and that’s it’s also necessary to keep fluid drained so swelling doesn’t become permanent.) So… I started this morning. It was difficult but Dr. C assured me I could not hurt anything… my stitches were not going to come out. So I persevered. Now this evening I’m lifting my arm much higher. Progress! Yet it’s just wild that one day I’m (seemingly) healthy and the next thing I know, I’m having real trouble lifting my arm! And I thought running a marathon would be real exercise!

Our Flock

I told Ric I’m worried about how much cancer I do have. He’s worried too. We have to count on new treatments and remember others we’ve met who’ve survived. Keep positive. Just take one step at a time, do all I can to heal – exercise, eat right, take care of myself mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Laid down to rest. Ric leaned over and kissed me softly… then went and looked out the bedroom window and said, “There are 2 blue jays on the deck… 3 blue jays… a woodpecker now too… and cardinals, a male and a female!” And I said, “Now there’s a sign of life and hope!”

No comments:

Post a Comment