Thursday

3/23/06 - One Thin Dime

In my mailbox at work this morning was a letter and a gift from two sisters who related their breast cancer story. It all started with a dime lying on the floor next to the hospital bed. Ignored… this time only… because it showed up again in the next room at the hospital. Their mother said it was a sign there were 10 angels watching over them. At various times, dimes kept appearing, sometimes in the craziest places! Soon family and friends kept finding them everywhere… just when they needed a sign of God being with them. The story is a breast cancer survivor story. The sisters had one of their dimes mounted on a key ring for me, so I can be reminded to watch for “my sign.”

My sign may or may not be a dime… but I can relate already. Ric’s mom is always finding dimes. When she finds one she says, “Look, one thin dime” and we all tease her. When we go out to dinner or shopping, Ric will walk ahead and throw a dime (or dimes) on the pavement, and Mrs. Cochran gets so excited when she “finds” them!!!

Ric

Yesterday and today have been really tough for Ric. I did a lot of crying early on and he was strong for me. Now, I’m moving on and getting myself ready for the next steps (educating myself through reading, nurturing my positive frame of mind, and making a list of things to pack in my goody bag to take to chemotherapy!). So at this point in time, I’m strong, but my heart breaks for Ric. I know he’s feeling vulnerable and scared.

Ric In Charge

David Lee Cancer Center called – I have an appointment with Dr. Cohen on Monday. Oh boy, here we go. Just a few short months ago I would have never imagined I would be going to a cancer center.

Received another call from DLCC, telling me my husband called wanting to interview Dr. Cohen. Bev wanted to know if he was just kidding or could he have been serious? Knowing Ric has been very concerned that I get a doctor who is personable and “not a jerk,” I said that I was fairly certain he was serious. Ric’s the only person I know who would want to interview the doctor before treating me! We just laughed and laughed. Bev assured me I would be in good hands with the doctor. I told her Ric would have to hear it from her to be satisfied, and she called him.

Release It

If I feel like crying, I just let it go. And it never really lasts very long now. I immediately start seeing things differently, I’m comforted… and quite hopeful! Release of emotions – so easy now… shouldn’t it be that way all the time? For everyone? Why do we stuff our feelings so often? I’m learning it’s healthier just to let it go… and then go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment